Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving to the Super Committee

    I am not sure how anyone who is paying attention cannot be feeling a constant background hum of tension given the state of the world’s politics.  I started to write the word economy, but as I did, I realized it’s not about the money at the core.  It’s about power, and those who have it.  As one of the 99% who do not have power, I feel anxious and tired whenever I think about the world economy. And completely helpless, did I mention completely helpless?  I may have just given you a Thanksgiving recipe for anxiety – take lots of worry about the economy, add a heavy dose of helplessness and a dash of a tree fell on my office. (Wait, that last one is optional.)  Carry it all around with you for a while and you have . . .
    I don’t think about this all of the time.  I have a long list of other things I do think about.  Thank goodness.  This little topic is simmering on the back burner on very low heat.  I try not to focus on it because there’s nothing I can do about it. That’s the point.  The problem is that 100% denial is impossible.  As many of us know, it takes more and more effort to keep that ugly old thang locked away, off the front burner, not consciously felt, but it’s there . . . always there . . .
    I heard that they didn’t even meet together in the same room.
    No one thought they would succeed.  Many are now saying that they shouldn’t have succeeded. They never meant to succeed. “Their not succeeding is important,” I heard on the radio last night.
    Breathing . . . breathing . . .
    I understand why the occupy Wall Street folks beat drums.  It’s frustrating.  It’s maddening.  Dancing, moving – there is a need to bring some life to this problem.  I believe in gratitude.  I am grateful for my life. I am grateful for my family. I am grateful for where I live.
    And the Super Committee . . .  and our beloved Congress . . . I think that this year, I will count my blessings while walking outside.  Taking deep breaths and focusing on the space between the stars.  This one, I gotta walk off.
    Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment