Friday, August 12, 2011

It's Not Fall Yet

    I have had two thoughts I have been carrying around for the last week or so, planning to write them here.  As you may know, nothing happened.  I don’t know if you’ve been feeling it, but there is an undercurrent of Fall flowing through these days.  The kids are getting ready to go back to school.  Many of us are returning from vacations.  And we’ve had these gorgeous cool mornings.  I associate Fall with making lists and getting things done.  For those tuned to the agrarian, it’s harvest time.  The energy of the harvest is busy.  I’ve always liked it.
    So early this morning, I sat down to journal with a “let’s get cracking” intention.  And . . . I’m just not feeling it.  I had a moment of tiny panic, and I could hear my Inner Critic clearing her throat and tuning up for the talking to that was surely “for my own good” – something about my limitations and probably weight loss.  I’m just guessing.  Anyway, that’s not the story.  Here’s what happened after that.
    I had the IPOD playing in the kitchen, and I heard the music change mid song to a Sweet Honey In The Rock sacred song.  (Earthy and Africa mystical in case you are unfamiliar.)  I was aware of my nose being filled with the sweet grass smell I associate with down here.  It smells a bit like chamomile and is truly heavenly.  A cardinal chirped from the railing across the porch and flew right in front of me into the woods.  And my little Rosie popped up at my knee looking for a petting.  All of this and a cup of really good hot tea, experienced more or less at once.  It was a full, truly beautiful moment.
    And I heard in my head, all at once, as though it had already been spoken and I was remembering it, “My child, smell the sweet grass.”  It was as if the Earth rose up and to meet me.  What began as a thought about limitations became a moment of nourishment and healing, an  abundant experience of rightness.  I know with certainty that what’s next for me is just around the corner, just not this moment.  This moment is for taking it all in and letting myself be filled.  
    Or, said another way, it’s not Fall yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment